Full Time Minnesota IT Job
ISIS mission is “To facilitate international collaboration in zoos and aquariums through the collection and sharing of knowledge on animal care.” We are the largest non-profit organization serving 800 zoos & aquariums in 80 countries with their animal management needs.
The ZIMS web-based solution is the world standard software to manage almost 3 million animals and 10,000 species. This solution improves animal inventory management, institutional planning, member staff efficiencies, and cost management. Our go-to-market strategies require us to balance being both a non-profit and a software company.
The company (annual revenues range from $4-$7 million) develops proprietary, web technology with 50 associates (employees and contractors) to deliver a full suite of wildlife records management services, including:
• Database serves as a central repository of members’ animal records including - births, deaths, ownership, pedigree, breeding, husbandry, medical, nutrition;
• Hosted technology for front-to-back end process automation; and
• Thought-leadership on records management, community best practices, and workflow to access/query information.
All services are provided using a business model incorporating software-as-a-service relationships to a targeted member-focused market comprised of global zoological institutions (both public and private).
Services are delivered through offices established worldwide:
• Latin America office, Bogota, Colombia
• Asia office, Tokyo, Japan
• European office, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
• India office, New Delhi, India
• Turkey office, Istanbul, Turkey
• Worldwide Headquarters, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
This position is primarily responsible for designing, coding, testing, and analyzing software programs and applications. This includes researching, designing, documenting, and modifying software specifications throughout the production lifecycle. The software developer will also analyze and amend software errors in a timely and accurate fashion and provide status reports where required by performing the following duties personally or though subordinates. The developer will accurately and rapidly write code for various ISIS software products, which entails using proper coding conventions as well as following any specific ISIS desired coding conventions. Emphasis is on producing clean and lean code that is capable of functioning and scaling in highly demanding business environments. This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
These duties and responsibilities describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work:
• Immediately contributes as a thinking programmer who desires to join a highly productive team and totally immerses themselves in our products.
• Assists other developers, analysts, and designers in conceptualizing and developing ISIS products and services.
• Assists in the preparation and documentation of software requirements and specifications.
• Researches and documents requirements from the aquarium and zoological user community.
• Recommends, schedules, and performs software improvements and upgrades.
• Writes, translates, and codes software programs and applications according to specifications.
• Runs and monitors software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
• Administers critical analysis of test results and delivers solutions to problem areas.
• Generates statistics and prepares and writes reports for management and/or team members on the status of the programming process.
• Conducts research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
• Assists in the development and maintenance of user manuals and guidelines.
• Liaises with network administrators, business analysts, and database administrators to assist in resolving problems with ISIS products and services.
• Assists in studying and analyzing data processing functions, methods and procedures and make recommendations concerning the feasibility of revising existing programs or adapting new applications to data processing operations that will more effectively utilize ISIS resources.
The Developer position requires 5-7 years of relevant application and database development experience. Experience delivering software solutions as products and services.
• Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Management Information Systems or related degree from a four-year college or university
• Minimum of 5 years equivalent work experience
• Demonstrated project management skills with ability to develop and implement software products in a cross-functional environment
• Excellent oral, writing, and editing skills
• ExtJS (Sencha) design patterns or other toolkit experience in developing true 'single page' web applications • JQuery expertise
• Experience working with XML and XSLT
• Knowledge of user interface design processes and methodology for web development
• Excellent user experience design skills utilizing an iterative design approach
• Hands on experience working in integrated development environments, including Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio
• Extensive experience with Microsoft SQL Server database
• Solid working knowledge of current Internet technologies
• Hands-on software troubleshooting experience
• Experience with different phases of the software development life cycle
• Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies Other Skills and Abilities
• Represents the International Species Information System in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current members, donors, volunteers, vendors and the global communities and associations we serve.
• Interacts effectively with a diverse group of staff, consultants, and other customers of our services.
• Learns and uses operating practices of the department and ISIS.
• Upholds the Statements of ISIS Mission, Vision and Values and Beliefs.
• Handles confidential information with tact and discretion.
• Must possess strong leadership skills, work ethic, integrity, professionalism, organization and be able to perform independently.
• Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadline; effectively respond to office workflow issues. Perform well in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions.
• Must be a team player and a self-starter who can relate well to peers and senior executives. Possess an ability to operate internally in a matrix fashion across a variety of departments to solve member problems.
• Ability to negotiate, and bring effectively to closure, complex organizational discussions.
• Persuasive and an ability to develop trusting relationships in a win-win fashion.
• Passionate regarding the use of technology, especially web-based applications, to achieve performance and service enhancements.
• Sound business judgment. Excited to develop new skills.
• As a global organization, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. Ability and interest to work within such a global organization with a culturally diverse staff and member base.
• Ability at times to exceed the standard 40 hour work week, including evenings and weekends, to meet the position's requirements.
• Ability to periodically travel domestically or internationally, if needed.
To apply submit cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.