One of the searches I am working on in my project with Total Expert is a Software Engineering Manager.
Below is the job description but first I have some informal notes from my conversation with Brenda Simons, Sr Director of Engineering, to whom this role reports.
We’re looking for someone who: is very detail oriented, very technical… more technical than business, can thrive on controlled chaos, can create their own path if something is not already in place, figure out the process and do it with the team.
Having been a fast-growing startup we are finding opportunity to be more mature in our processes.
You like unstructured things, a smart team with ideas and are a developer at heart.
We move quick and are gradually moving faster. Currently code goes into production three times a month.
Leadership team is CTO, VP of Engineering and 2 directors of which Brenda is one and this person will report to her. For Brenda, as long as results are what is expected, if “X” needs to get done, she doesn’t care how you get there. If a certain way works better… cool. Do it. You have autonomy. Saying I don’t know is OK as long as it’s followed with let’s go figure it out.
You have a servant leadership style. You love your teams, will go to bat for them and get needless things out of their way.
Know this… the engineering leadership really loves the people they work with. Team, collaboration and support really matter to them.
What has been missing from people she has spoken to so far: either never been coders or are happy they are no longer writing code.
Let’s try it this way… we think we are looking for someone who has 5+ yrs of experience as a coder, know what it’s like to be one and managed a Dev team. You may be thinking, I already am one so why this role and why Total Expert? We are on pace for $100M+ in revenue and an IPO. The opportunity for growth here is very high.
Here is the formal job description:
Total Expert’s mission is to drive growth by making customer relationships human again. As a private, rapidly growing software-as-a-service (SaaS) company, we provide the first modern, web-based, enterprise-level Marketing Operating System (MOS) that enables financial services organizations and their brands to stay ahead of how consumers expect to communicate, shop, and manage their financial lives in the digital/social era. Today, more than 100 customers in both lending and financial services firms, including eight of America’s top 15 lenders, leverage Total Expert’s Marketing Operating System to create customers for life by blending human relationships with digital simplicity.
Why choose Total Expert? At Total Expert, we strive for excellence, innovation and customer success at all times. Our most successful people have a “teamwork makes the dream work” mindset, can operate with a strong sense of urgency, have an entrepreneurial spirit, and are solution orientated.
We are being recognized! In 2019, Total Expert made the Inc. 500 list of fastest-growing companies in the country at spot #105 and was the 2nd fastest-growing Minneapolis-based company on the list. In addition to being awarded a Top Workplace by the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune (2018, 2019), we have also been recognized as a HousingWire Tech100 and Minne Inno 50 on Fire award winner in 2019.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineering Manager to join our growing Engineering Team! In this position you’ll work as part of an Engineering group to expand and support the Total Expert platform and integrations and lead a multi-disciplined agile software delivery team spanning Software, QA, Architecture, Data, and DevOps team members. We’re looking for a manager who excels at both managing and leading technologists, has experience incrementally improving agile teams through self-reflection and a value driven focus, and has a genuine passion for leading technologists using cutting-edge software development tools and technologies.
The work you do will empower tens of thousands of financial services leaders to help their customers make critical financial decisions that shape their lives.
Exciting work you’ll do:
- Work with our Product team and other Engineering teams to set overall project priorities, assign Engineering team members to projects, manage software related aspects of timelines and delivery, and provide day-to-day technical work direction for our Software Delivery Teams.
- Assists team members with problem analysis, estimating, software design, development, and testing within an Agile software methodology.
- Collaborate with Engineering and Product teams to ensure seamless integration with product roadmap and delivery schedules.
- Drive and develop the team’s Agile development processes with a focus on quality and timeliness.
- Support department level objectives and recommend process improvements across our Engineering teams to achieve higher levels of quality and optimum velocity.
- On-going management and professional development of team members including mentoring on software development practices, software engineering technical skill building, and expanding domain knowledge into related technologies or new areas of the Total Expert platform.
What we look for:
- Passionate about building great products, innovation and solving complex customer problems.
- Solid track record of building relationships and collaborating at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently paired with a desire to learn and grow.
- Will thrive in startup culture: Has a growth mindset, resilient, adaptable and curious.
- 10+ years’ experience working in roles within a team based custom software development environment.
- 3+ years’ experience working in a management role managing a software team and providing technical direction to team members.
- Experience leading groups of software and quality engineering team members using Agile or Lean development practices such as Scrum, FDD, XP, or Kanban.
- Demonstrated experience identifying, implementing, and measuring team processes to improve quality, efficiency, and timeliness.
- Experience working closely with, or managing, quality focused team members on projects and support requests.
- Experience building and maintaining enterprise web applications.
- Experience creating or driving best practices around leveraging automated unit testing to improve quality and increase velocity.
- Demonstrated history of staying current on best practices in technology.
A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or related field.
If yes, send me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and include any of the following and I will do an introduction for you: summary, resume, links to LinkedIn or GitHub.
If not, click => “Say Hello” and introduce yourself to me and we can talk about what you are looking for.