I’m not going to be shy… there are a handful of Minnesota startups that have a great future and When I Work is one of them. I have no doubt one day this will be a great Minnesota tech story and am thrilled to be a part of the recruiting team.
If you are not familiar with When I Work we are a staff of 60 looking to be near 100 by the end of the year with more growth in 2016. We recently raised a $5M round of funding with most of that going to hiring.
Serious… this is no BS.
Here is some info:
- 2013 Minnesota Cup High Tech division winner
- Numerous “Best Place to Work” awards
- Fast-growing When I Work to acquire ShiftHub, raises another $5 million (Minneapolis StarTribune)
- How bagging groceries inspired Chad Halvorson to bootstrap When I Work (Mixergy.com)
- When I Work: A Company That Incubated Itself (Inc.com 2014 list of 35 Under 35 Coolest Entrepreneurs)
- Interview with Chad Halvorson, CEO of When I Work (Greater MSP)
- Chad Halvorson and Alan Patricof on Bloomberg TV (2014)
Find and follow us online:
Our home office in Minneapolis/St Paul, MN but you can work remotely anywhere within the US. All applicants must already be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
Who We’re Looking For
We're looking for an experienced (seriously, been there done that) full stack developers to join our growing team. You can discuss the various merits of different frameworks, architectures and tools. You have experience picking the ones that work best for a team that moves fast (i.e. we deploy code multiple times a day). You have tried many different approaches, and have a point of view on the “right way” code should be structured and built, but are still grounded in the reality that we don’t live in a perfect world.
You are a developer who:
- Wants to build something meaningful, always with the end-user experience in mind
- Is a forward thinker, obsessed with good software design and best practices
- Loves creating apps that are as elegant under the hood as they are on the front end
- Brings passion, innovation and problem solving to every endeavor
- Has a preoccupation with staying on top of industry trends and new technology
- Desires to be personally responsible for production-level code
- Possesses ingenuity to leverage all available tools and resources
- Communicates well, both written and verbally
What You’ll Be Doing
You’ll be working alongside our product development team, building apps that make every piece of hourly workforce management - scheduling, time tracking, shift trading and more - easy and straightforward, for managers and employees alike. In addition to development, you’ll have the opportunity to offer ideas, feedback and perspective on everything we produce. This is our expectation! Your ideas and code will be put in production and used by thousands all over the world.
- Rolling out new features, and analyzing (and reacting) to the results you discover from our system services and user feedback
- Optimizing existing functionality for improved response times
- Brainstorming with a dynamic team to flesh out new ideas and investigate tricky issues
- Searching creatively for the best solution, while building for the end-user
Experience and Skills Needed
- Top-notch programming skills, ability to produce quality code that is maintainable, efficient, reliable and secure.
- Strong development experience in PHP. If you don’t have PHP experience, strong experience in multiple of the following is desired: Python, Ruby, Java or Go. Current stack is written in PHP but we do have some small Ruby and Go services in production as well.
- Distributed version control (git) and regular deployments
- Expertise in Database Design and Concepts (MySQL, SQLite, ORM)
What’s In It For You
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Remote work environment … work where you work best
- Dynamic and dedicated team
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
Sound Like a Good Fit?
Check out our core values. If they excite you, we’d love to talk! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position)
- Cover letter explaining why you’d like to work at When I Work, and not somewhere else.
- Code examples of work that you think best represents how you currently think about building software. We <3 seeing OSS! If you don’t have code that is viewable, you can do our coding project and submit that. Please include a link to your code in the cover letter. Submissions that don’t have links to code in the Cover letters will not be viewed. We want to make sure a robot or a recruiter is not applying. #TheStruggleIsReal
To apply directly to When I Work click Full Stack Developer or to speak with me about this or other opportunities send any of the following to me: summary, resume, links to LinkedIn, GitHub, StackOverflow:
Minnesota Headhunter, LLC