Let me invite you into the “Paul DeBettignies Time Machine” and let’s go back to January 6th, 2020.
For most of us on this ride, COVID 19 was not known of. Here is what was:
GDP while slowing from recent years was estimated to be 1.9%. Still a very busy year for those hiring.
“War for Talent” and “Skills Shortage” and “Talent Shortage” were common phrases.
Many (most) companies were having between a slight and hard time hiring at the pace they wanted to. Hiring, yes. Fast, not so much.
Most recruiting teams were understaffed, underbudgeted and lacking proper tools.
Then the “shut down” came.
Many corporate recruiters were furloughed and/or laid off.
Recruiting budgets frozen or cut.
Tools were scaled back.
And I was telling anyone who would listen this would be a mistake.
Bold on my part? Yes.
Naive (not knowing company situations)? Maybe.
Let’s go forward in the “Paul DeBettignies Time Machine”…
March 5th, 2020 I wrote:
- Conversation With A CEO: You Shouldn’t Stop Recruiting During The Coronavirus Shutdown
- To be clear, I didn’t think we were going to have business impacted for a year with COVID 19. I do stand by everything I said then.
August 18th, 2020 I did a webinar:
- Pandemic Recruiting: What You and Your Team Should be Doing Right Now
- I gave some really good advice on what I would be doing then. NOTE: you can still listen to it when clicking the link.
During September a few more:
- Recruiting In A Pandemic: Add COVID-19 Content To Your Career Page And Job Descriptions
- Recruiting In A Pandemic: Wake Up Your Company And Leadership Social Media Accounts
And one in October:
The “Paul DeBettignies Time Machine” brings us to now… April 2021.
I have written:
- Minnesota Recruiters In Demand - Spring 2021
Current demand for Minnesota Recruiters based on job posts has never been in my 20+ year career this high
Very low attrition for a year + higher attrition than normal this year + many companies hiring (hiring surge) =
Some (strong) thoughts and opinions on why hiring right now for many companies is difficult
Here’ the deal… I see many “experts” saying this “hiring surge” is going to happen this summer or later this year.
I am suggesting this has already started… we are already in the 1st Quarter of the game.
And it feels like most have not yet arrived at the stadium, have not done their spring training and are still in an off season slumber.
They are not ready.
If I am wrong, if I am early with these thoughts… the worst thing that will happen is you are taking action now and will be ready for when it starts.
If I am correct and you take action now… you can catch up and be in a good place.
My advice, start now.
Like, right now.
If you are or will be hiring and want to nerd about this (pick one or both):
Stay in touch with me by clicking: