Have you been working at home and get the sense that something is not right, a bit weird? That’s the photo above.
Raise your hand if you woke up one of the past days wondering how it is that we are in the last two weeks of the year. I was in control of the calendar until mid November… then lost it. Now I am in “oh heck” mode.
Catching up a bit…
There’s been a bunch of Minnesota startup and tech news this quarter (Q4 2017). Some of which I will highlight with some commentary and others just links (in no particular order):
- The Super Bowl is in 48 days and Minneapolis (and the surrounding cities) are in full preparation mode. There are a bunch of events, concerts and gatherings including the 3rd annual “1st and Future” competition put on by the NFL, NBCUniversal (and local subsidiary SportsEngine) and Mayo Clinic. Click Sports-tech startups will face off in Minneapolis on Super Bowl weekend (MSP Business Journal) and NFL 1st & Future.
- I’ve been ranting for a long, long time that most Minnesota startups and tech companies are not recruiting as well as they can and should. I think they should be more aggressive, thoughtful and strategic. Here is an example of a group doing it right Kipsu’s Entrepreneurial Hiring Approach Is Scaling (Tech.mn)
- There’s another event relating to the Super Bowl (no official tie to it) Super Bowl week’s ‘geekiest’ event? No contest, it's MinneAnalytics’ SportCon (MSP Business Journal)> Dan Atkins and MinneAnalytics team put on really good events. Click SportCon for details on the event.
- People and groups to know => Meet Minne Inno’s Inaugural 50 on Fire
- There have been a number of tech companies who have in the past couple of years opened an office in Minneapolis or St Paul. Tech.mn has been tracking them [Updated] Which Tech Companies Based Outside Minnesota Have A Presence Here?
- Securian names top tech exec after CIO retires (MSP Business Journal) has news that Sid Gandhi has a new title, chief strategy and enterprise technology officer. I’ve been working with Sid and his team to hire a head of digital business innovation. Sid is building/growing an innovation team that feels very startup like. If you or someone you know are curious about it send me an email paul@Mnheadhunter.com
- Check out the Driving Change and How I Work series on Tech.mn
- What's the most promising Minnesota startup of 2017? asks MSP Business Journal. Click that link to cast a vote for Branch Messenger, Bright Health, Foodsby, ilos, Rebiotix, Seven Sundays and Structural.
- MinneInno has The Top 5 Twin Cities Tech and Startup Stories of 2017: Jamf Software, Bright Health, Minnesota IPO’s, Twin Cities co-working and Amazon. I can see those as top stories. Our MSP On Deck Podcast takes a swing at what we think were the biggest stories (and some 2018 predictions) with The most popular tech news stories of 2017 + what big things are in the pipe for 2018?
- Some fundraising news with The 15 Minnesota Startups That Raised Funding This Fall (MinneInno) and Minnesota Tech Funding Report Q3 2017: 42 Ventures Raised ~ $59 Million (Tech.mn)
- Minnesota Cup had a big announcement before Twin Cities Startup Week with Minnesota Cup Director Melissa Kjolsing Stepping Down After 5 Years (MinneInno) and then New Minnesota Cup Director Jessica Berg is Ready to Get to Work (MinneInno)
- Two sweet articles about how big the local tech scene is bigger than we think Perception of the Twin Cities technology market doesn't meet reality and Execs in growing Twin Cities tech sector reflect on ingredients of success (Minneapolis StarTribune)
- If you are a coder, designer, marketer and want to volunteer your time check out Geeks for Good: NerdKind Expands Nerdery Foundation’s Efforts to Help Nonprofits (MinneInno)
More news items:
- Revel Rakes In $17m From TT Capital Partners (Tech.mn)
- PE Backed HealthTech Firm ABILITY Network Secures $545m Debt Round (Tech.mn)
- Optum's new VC arm has $250M to spend on digital health startups (MSP Business Journal)
- HR Tech Startup Structural Scores A String Of New Customers (Tech.mn)
- WeWork Will Double Presence in Minneapolis with Uptown Location (MinneInno)
- [VIDEO] Startup Grind Minneapolis Featuring Tyrre Burks, CEO of Player’s Health (Tech.mn)
- Seagate vet takes helm of VC-backed tech company (MSP Business Journal)
- PeopleNet of Minnetonka has fared well under Trimble (Minneapolis StarTribune)
- Calabrio To Double HQ With North Loop Move (Tech.mn)
- VC-backed tech company eBureau sold to TransUnion (MSP Business Journal)
- HabitAware Keen on Destigmatizing Mental Illness (MinneInno)
I know that’s a lot of stuff… bookmark this page and come back to it over the next week.
Stay in touch with me by clicking:
|Newsletter Sign Up|