The following post is courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap:
“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” - Steve Jobs
Technically speaking (no pun intended), not all of the companies and institutions on this list are Technology specific (in fact, most are not). The point of this list, provided by Computer World, is to point out the best places to work if you are in IT.
These institutions leverage technology in their industries in a way that make them great places to work (rather than the largest, most profitable companies). Today's list of companies range from telecommunications to universities.
You will need to check the job postings to determine which job opportunities are IT related (not always easy to tell). There were over 2,220 job opportunities across the companies/institutions listed below when I checked the sites.
- Securian Financial Group Inc. - Ranked 6th on the list, this financial services company has over 2,400 employees of which 400+ are in IT. Their careers page has tabs for Welcome, Students, Corporate Professionals and Financial Advisors (similar links can be found on the right hand side of the page). A "Great Place to Work" and "Are You a Good Fit" are covered center page with additional links to corporate information on the left hand side of the page. The "find a job" is a little hard to find. You can register on the site or just review the job opportunities (there were 4 job opportunities when I checked the site).
- Verizon Wireless - Probably the best know company on today's list, Verizon’s career site includes the following categories: Verizon Corporate, Verizon Business, Verizon Telecom, Verizon Wireless and VSO (which appears to provide all of the infrastructure support to the organization). You can watch a video on the company, go to the student site, or click through to the Career Opportunities section and do a search. Tabs at the top cover off on Career Opportunities, Working Here, Who we are and more. Clicking on Career Opportunities takes you to the search page where you can narrow your search as suits you. The right hand side of the search screen has additional filters for Students. There were 1,370 job opportunities in the US when I checked the site.
- JM Family Enterprises Inc. - An automotive company and 8th on the list, JM has over 4,500 employees with over 430 in IT. Their careers page provides a brief overview of the company with links to their companies, their work/life program, benefits and current job openings. There were 30 job opportunities when I checked the site.
- USAA - A mutual life insurance company and ranked 9th on the list, USAA has almost 22,000 employees with over 2,100 in IT. This company has fitness rooms, flexible work arrangements and many more amazing benefits. Their career site is fairly simple - Find Jobs dominates the page (and why not) with links for Corporate Careers, Customer Contact Careers and other links at the bottom. There are links on the right hand side of the page for a company overview as well as additional resources for job seekers. There were 55 job opportunities when I checked the site.
- University of Miami - Okay, no explanation required as to what happens at this institution. Amazingly, there are over 11,400 employees and over 340 IT related positions. Their careers page has tabs at the top for How to Apply, Benefits and more. Links on the left hand side provide additional information on Search All Jobs, Student Employment, Job Fairs and more. There were 765 job opportunities when I checked the site.
Article courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap, a content exchange service sponsored by CollegeRecruiter.com, a leading site for college students looking for internships and recent graduates searching for entry level jobs and other career opportunities