Full Time Minnesota IT Job
Creativity and innovation in teaching and learning are the hallmark of Hamline University—home to nearly 4,900 undergraduate, graduate, and law students. At Hamline, students collaborate with professors invested in their success. They are challenged in and out of the classroom to create and apply knowledge in local and global contexts, while cultivating an ethic of civic responsibility, social justice, and inclusive leadership and service.
Hamline is the top-ranked and only “Great Schools, Great Prices” university of its class in Minnesota, according to U.S.News & World Report. Founded in 1854, Hamline also is Minnesota’s first university and among the first coeducational institutions in the nation.
Located in Saint Paul, Minnesota, Hamline is affiliated with the United Methodist Church and offers courses and degree programs in Saint Paul and Minneapolis.
The position of Unix Systems Administrator in the department of Infrastructure Systems & Services for Information Technology Services (ITS) is an important position that supports critical components of the enterprise computing structure of Hamline University. The primary responsibility is to provide Unix (Solaris) and Linux (Oracle Enterprise Linux/Redhat Linux/SUSE Enterprise Linux) Systems Administration to the university's Unix/Linux environment by performing all functions that require 'root' level access on the Unix/Linux servers to include networking and storage allocation. In addition, a thorough understanding and possession of polished customer service is assumed, along with professional written and verbal communications skills, and a willingness to approach tasks enthusiastically and pro-actively while managing and working within a collaborative team environment with members of ITS and the university community. This position reports to the Director of Infrastructure Systems & Services.
The environment is comprised of SUN Solaris hardware and Oracle Enterprise Linux/Redhat Linux running in VMWare virtual machines supporting a wide array of applications. The primary applications include Sungard Banner ERP, Oracle databases and application servers, Apache, Tomcat, PHP and related web services, Listserv and mail services. The position requires a working knowledge of a TCP/IP-based campus network, and LAN technology, as well as a general understanding of VMware virtual machine administration.
A probationary period of 1 year will be in effect for new staff hired for this position.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Primary Job Functions
· Install and harden OS
· Apply security and recommended patches on a regularly scheduled basis
· Perform troubleshooting of system performance working directly with Enterprise Applications & Development staff to resolve issues
· Make system modifications to accommodate hardware upgrades
· Write shell scripts to automate system administration tasks
· Create and maintains technical documentation and procedures for Systems Administration support
· Analyze and coordinate system outages and interruptions.
· Manage and maintain Unix Servers (approximately 40) on university LAN
· Assist users in accessing and using systems
· Install and configure applications
· Evaluate new software
· Perform hardware and software upgrades
· Keep operating systems, applications, and antivirus software up to date
· Add/delete users, manage backups, and monitor audit logs
· Administer backup system
· Manage Unix based email systems, including listserv
· Manage Unix based printing services.
Secondary Job Functions
Provide backup support for other services within Infrastructure Systems & Services, including:
· Windows Server administration
· Cisco Networking support
· VMware Vsphere administration
· Netapp SAN/NAS administration
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Skills: Must have 5-8 years of hands-on experience
Proficiency with the following:
· Sun Solaris 10
· Oracle Enterprise Linux
· Redhat Linux
· Unix shell scripts
· Sun Microsystems hardware
· Solaris and Linux performance tuning
· VMware VSphere 5.0 virtual machines
· Skilled troubleshooting
Experience with the following:
· Solaris Zones and Containers
· DNS, NIS, LDAP
· Network file systems including SAN and NFS
· Ethernet and TCP/IP
· Apache, Tomcat
· Oracle or MySQL RDBMS
· PHP, HTML, Perl
· Installation of open source software
· College degree preferred or possession of a combination of industry certifications and experience.
· Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with customers (faculty, staff, or students) or management who may have differing levels of technical understanding.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department personnel, managers, university faculty and staff, and external vendors .
· Ability to prioritize and organize a variety of responsibilities.
How To Apply:
Send a cover letter, resume, and the names and phone numbers of three references electronically to email@example.com or by postal mail to Office of Human Resources, Hamline University, 1536 Hewitt Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55104.
Position will remain open until filled. Position may be closed upon the decision of Hamline University.