“It’s Time” is a phrase I used a few years ago (I don’t do New Year’s resolutions) as a reminder of what I needed to be thinking about. This year I went with “Change the game… and the rules”.
It’s time to do that.
The past few months with trips to Orlando and Dallas/Fort Worth and events likes SourceCon, Enterprise Rising, Midwest Capital Call, Midwest PHP, Dallas Startup Week, MinneBar and Hack the Gap… I’ve been a part of a couple hundred plus local, regional and national conversations on the topics of recruiting and retention from Startups to the Fortune 500.
I am going to be blunt about my main conclusion… at some point and I don’t know when many (most) people (particularly the “cool kids”, speakers and wannabe online experts) have gone bat shit crazy.
Maybe its because:
- the election cycle where everyone seems a bit nuts
- the social media hype machine many of us live/work in
- many are trying to “out do” the other person.
- the game many play with themselves about how many “likes” they can have on a photo, Tweet or post
- the pressure to produce
- the pressure to stay “cutting edge”
- their trying to make things look easy
- their trying to be “famous” or the next great keynote speaker