Being a Fueled Collective (formerly CoCo) member I have been watching phData the last couple of years grow its staff and footprint in the space. A couple of months ago I reached out to a member of the leadership team with a friendly referral for a role they had open and that person was hired. I was also aware that they were about to enter another significant growth phase so I reached out again to learn more about them and see if they might need some help.
Fast forward a few weeks to the end of March and my first all hands meeting... and the BIG announcement of the $2.5M Series A funding through Arthur Ventures.
That's a fun way to start working with a group. The leadership team did a great job describing how the funds will be used, that not much changes, we will be adding new members to the team and Ryan Bosshart was named CEO. Essentially, this is my take on things… phData is shifting into a higher gear and things are in place to make it happen.
I've been very vocal about how I feel about this team... I like them A LOT. They have been very gracious with their time getting me up to speed and answering my many questions:
Some quick introductions:
- Co Founders
- Started in 2014
- Doubled the team in 2017
- Currently around 60 on the team
- Best Places to Work 2017 (1st year eligible)
- Co Organizer of the Twin Cities Hadoop and Spark User Group
- Sponsor (and speaking) of Big Data Tech 2018
- Focused on Big Data
- Managed Services
- Data Ops
- Largest Cloudera partner in Midwest
What “phData” means:
One of the first questions I asked was how did we get the name. Basically we see ourselves as the phD (yes, we do the “p” in lowercase)… the most advanced in Big Data. It’s what we do… all we do… and are the best at it.
- This is a crazy smart group of people
- The leadership team is very transparent with the staff
- We're growing fast... feels like a startup
- A diverse group
- If a team member has a question they get 2-3 responses real fast. They like to help each other... “let me look into that for you”
- A unique group of people who work really well together
We are currently in the Fueled Collective (formerly CoCo) space in Downtown Minneapolis at the Minneapolis Grain Exchange. With some of our staff at clients or occasionally working remote this space works great for us and when we all come together on Friday’s.
Rather than being very specific (and you can see what it is currently posted by clicking phData Jobs... I'm looking to have a casual conversation with people who have some of the following backgrounds:
- Solutions Architects
- Data Engineers
- Managed Services
- Infrastructure, Linux admins, Systems Engineers, DevOps Engineers, maybe DBA's with Big Data experience
- Java or Python Developers who have developed big data applications
- While most of the roles are currently in Minneapolis... I gladly chat with folks in other cities (likely expansion) or who like to travel
- Let's play a little buzzword bingo:
- Big Data Consulting, Solution Architect, Software Engineering, Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Cloudera, Hadoop, HBase, Spark, Impala, Solr, Kudu, Sqoop, Kafka, Spark, Hive, Impala, MapReduce, Java, Scala, Python, ETL, SQL, Pig, Hadoop Architecture, Hadoop Administration, Hadoop security, LDAP, Active Directory and Kerberos (KDC) administration, Hadoop encryption; HDFS transparent data encryption, LUKS and PKI methodologies, YARN, AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, Ansible, Git, Big Data clusters
Interested in phData but not a Big Data practitioner or expert? As the company continues to grow we will be building out other parts of the team. Right now (early May) this includes:
- Product Marketing Manager
- Accountant (not yet posted)
Why work with us?
- You want to be at the forefront of Big Data
- We are a technology company, not a business using technology. We are always innovating and cutting edge
- We are solving the most complex Big Data problems that are out there
- You want to help build something special
- You want to be in a strong engineering culture
- If you want to challenge and be challenged intellectually... you found your home
What my first 30 days at phData have been like in photos:
If you would like to learn more or have questions about phData send me an email and if I can’t answer it I will pass it on to someone who can.
If you would like to learn more about the career opportunities we have phData… tech or non tech, if you are looking now, in six months or just want to get on our radar and us on yours send me an email.
You can get reach me at email@example.com
Stay in touch with me by clicking:
|Newsletter Sign Up|