The following post is courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap:
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
How many times have you felt as if you were so close to getting a job and then it just doesn't happen?
Sometimes it's a recruiter leading you on, sometimes you go on a few interviews and then hear nothing and sometimes you get caught in the "only applying online" syndrome.
And then there is the very frustrating situation where you get all the way to the finish line, only to get a lousy offer.
There are lots of reasons for each of these (see more below). Sometimes the competition is too tough, sometimes you are just not the right person for the job.
- 10 Reasons Why You May Not Be Getting a Job Offer - There are lots of reasons why you may not get a job offer, and 10 of them are listed in this article from Thinkenergygroup.com. From the most basic - "you are not qualified" to the not so obvious - "poor personal appearance", each item has a brief description. This particular site is focused on the energy industry, but there are some great job search resource links on the left hand side of the page (like salary trends, cover letters, resumes, etc.). Check out their job search if this is your field.
- How to Get a Job Interview - You can't get a job if you can't get an interview. This article, from Forbes.com provides some real life advice on how to get a job. From Resume review to Interviewing, this article is an interesting read if you are not getting any interviews. There are related links on the right hand side of the page.
- How To Get a Job Interview - Another View - No, this is not a repeat of the article above. This one is from Hubpages.com and talks about some of the alternatives out there. Ideas such as Targeted Resumes and Buy Lunch are two of those mentioned in this article. There are other great tips and it is worth thinking about trying something different. Take a look at the related links on the right hand side of the page.
- Top 10 Interview Blunders - Sometimes you need to know what not to do in order to get it right. This article, from Alison Doyle and posted on About.com lists some great advice as to what people fail to do either prior to or during the interview. There are some easy picks (like not being prepared) and then some that you might not have thought of (like fuzzy facts). If this list is not enough, there are additional related links at the bottom of the page as well as some great links at the top of the page.
- Job Interviews 101: How to Ace 5 Key Questions Every Recruiter Will Ask - This article is from ABCnews.com and will help you prepare for an interview. The article lists the "must know" questions you should be able to answer. Some of these are basic, but others are not (like what are some of your weaknesses). This article provides some good advice and definitely is worth a read.
Good luck in your search.
Article courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap, a content exchange service sponsored by CollegeRecruiter.com, a leading site for college students looking for internships and recent graduates searching for entry level jobs and other career opportunities.
Click Be Your Own Headhunter for info on my Job Search Seminar.