What follows below are the results from our 4th Minnesota Recruiters hiring and jobs survey.
Let me get the disclaimers and details out of the way out of the way:
- This is not a scientific survey but it does give a good read on what is going on
- This is a blind survey and no one (me included) gets to know who participated or what their answers were
- The survey was open from April 1st to 20th
- We had fewer replies than previous surveys and I believe most of that is due to me not sending as many reminders about it.
Between events, conferences, conversation and client feedback the survey results match what I have been seeing which is this:
- The economic recovery continues to move along and while some skill sets and industries are seeing a shortage of talent generally we still have a long way to in getting back to pre recession jobs levels
- Starting January 3, 2011 (the first work day of the new year) we saw a significant increase in hiring across most skill sets and industries
- 2011 Q1 hiring plateaued a bit in March and appears to be at that level into 2011 Q2
- Recruiters were very much in demand in 2011 Q1 and while the number of job openings is a bit lower as we start 2011 Q2 the demand continues
- The job market continues to be situational. One company can be hiring a skill set and another company in the same industry may be letting people go.
Now for some analysis...
- The good news is that there continues to be much more good news than bad news
- Predictions of more hiring in 2011 made in 2010 have been so far realized
- In IT we are seeing a comeback in the hiring of Project Managers and Business Analysts. This is a good sign that companies are doing more projects
- More in IT, we are seeing candidates holding multiple offers
- Marketing jobs are finally coming back and strongly
- National surveys are showing Minnesota to have one of the best job markets
- Still seeing a slow HR job market
- Q1 had a number of large layoffs with 7 announcements of 100+ jobs
- The medical device larger employers who had been strong for so long are hitting a week patch
Results from the survey (click images to see larger) :
- Call Center
Search Firm Recruiters:
IT Consulting Firm Recruiters:
- Project Managers
- Business Analysts
- Staff Managers
- Project Managers
HR and Recruiter Consulting Firms:
- Recruiters and Staffing