CareerBuilder has results from a survey that include “13 Most Memorable Resume Mistakes” which I have listed below.
Before getting to the funny unfortunate list here are some statistics from the survey of human resource managers and hiring managers:
- 48% typically review 25 applications or less for open positions
- 38% on average spend less than a minute reviewing a resume
- 18% spend less than 30 seconds reviewing a resume
- 79% pay more attention to resumes that are tailored to their open positions
13 Most Memorable Resume Mistakes:
- Candidate put God down as a reference (no phone number).
- Candidate listed her hobby as alligator watching.
- Candidate claimed to be a direct descendant of the Vikings.
- Candidate’s email address had “lovesbeer” in it.
- Candidate listed “Master of Time and Universe” under his experience.
- Candidate started off the application with "Do you want a tiger?"
- Candidate specifically pointed out that he was not a gypsy.
- Candidate’s condition for accepting the position was being allowed to bring his pet monkey to the workplace.
- Candidate pointed out, "I'll have your job in five years."
- Candidate sent a 24-page resume for a 5-year career.
- Candidate put a picture of her cat on top of her resume.
- Candidate declared himself the LeBron James of table games.
- Candidate sent a video trying to hypnotize the HR manager into hiring him.
Wow, there are a lot of lessons to be learned from that list.
Click Hiring Managers Share Most Memorable Resume Mistakes in New CareerBuilder Survey to see more from the survey including some resume tips.
Click Be Your Own Headhunter for info on my Job Search Seminar.