So much on the mind and trying to figure what if anything someone might want to know about but my mind is a bit warped from yesterday’s weather so lets start with that, the weather.
Why? When one adds the air temperature of 93 and mid 70’s dew point one gets a heat index or “feels like” 108 degrees. That is tropical like conditions.
I picked up some food to go (I will fire up the grill at -5 but not +108) and bumped into an old friend. We moved to the shade but after just a 20 minute chat found myself sweating.
But there was some relief last night after the storms went through the area. I was on a phone call, looked out the window and saw we were having an amazing sunset. Not able to get out a I sent out a Tweet, “Please someone in Minneapolis get a pic of this amazing sky/sunset -- late night conference calls SUCK”
My request was answered by two followers with these photos:
@celiacowell for this:
I also have a few pics and video from 4th of July weekend fire works shows.
This is from the Bloomington Summer Fete:
And these from Lake Minnetonka (yeah we were really that close):
I have some other bits of news but will save them for tomorrow so I can quickly this next topic…
.jobs Domain Controversy
This is a big, HUGE thing going on in the HR and Recruiter industry and is coming to a boiling point this week. Rather than write out a bunch of stuff I am going to point you to a series of blog posts that will catch you up faster than I can:
- Why SHRM Must Reject the .jobs Amendment
- Public Comments Solidly In Support Of .Jobs Expansion
- How and Why to Object to Taking .jobs Away From Employers and Creating a Million New Job Boards
- Opponents Launch Campaign to Stop .Jobs Expansion
- .Jobs Comments Flooding In As Comment Deadline Nears
- Open Letter to ICANN: Reject the .jobs Amendment!
- Dot Jobs
- Google Goes On Record As Opposing Expansion of .jobs
After reading a lot of material (and skipping the process issues) my issue is would .jobs help job seekers find jobs and companies find candidates.
As best I can figure it out the answer is no and what I do figure out is that a handful of people are about to hit a vary large lottery.
Upcoming events :
- Social Media Breakfast 28 7/23 (sponsor and attending)
- An Evening with Brian Solis 7/27 (attending)
- Minnesota Recruiters 11 7/30 (coordinating and presenting)
Recruiter and HR:
- HR Search Marketing: SEO Microsites - 5 Things You’re Not Being Told
- Fistful of Talent: Social Recruiting 3.0 - Fast Forward to the Era of Leveraging Conversation and Social Interaction
- What Would Dad Say: How LinkUp Works, ReDux
- Hockenberg Searcj: To be or not to be … that person who accepted the counter-offer
- Fistful of Talent: Dear Recruiters...Stop Ignoring Your Candidates
- George’s Employment Blawg: 5 Ways to Stay Productive While You Search for a Job
- Recruiting Futurology: Why Job Boards need to innovate or die
- The Wax Blog: How to pitch your local TV station
- FRWD: Small Businesses and Social Media
- Communications Conversations: 5 new LinkedIn group features and why they matter
- The Future Buzz: Most Companies Still Don’t Get SEO – Yet They Want To Go Social?
- Lawyerist.com: Are You Big Firm Material?
- TECHdotMN: Greener pastures? A tale of the Minnesota startup that was