Titles: Recruiter, Blogger, Speaker, etc. BEST title is "Uncle Paul"
Yesterday I put out that Tweet with a photo below.
I spent some time with my buddy and his two daughters. While not family we really are and to be “Uncle Paul” is one of the coolest things. I am very fortunate that so many of my friends have allowed me to play this role even if we do not see each as frequently as we would like.
Then again, that does sound like a family:
We took a short detour and took the girls to see the view of St Anthony Falls from the Stone Arch Bridge. Peak river levels were only three days ago and one can tell with the trees, debris and color of the river it is getting a good cleaning:
Off to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts where I had not been in a really long time. It is a great place where in one area there is a children’s play going on and in another wing artists drawing their version of a painting:
Spring cleaning my mind:
Over the past month or so I have had a lot on my mind so I have been exploring to see “what’s up” and learned that the more I think the louder and murkier things get. Not what one needs when one is looking for clarity.
So I have been doing some reading, asking friends what they do to calm, clear and/or silent their mind. I have been getting some great books, poems and quotes to read along with finding my own along the way (there is a lot of them):
- Believing contains no doubt. Believing does not waiver. Believing is absolute faith. - "Secret Scrolls" Rhonda Byrne
- You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes - Winnie the Pooh
- Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day - Winnie the Pooh
- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony - Mohandas K. Gandhi
- When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy – Rumi
- The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for - Allan K. Chalmers
- One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter - James Earl Jones
- Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile - Franklin P. Jones
- You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one - James A. Froude
- Freedom lies in being bold - Robert Frost
- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling - Margaret B. Runbeck
- Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin - Grace Hansen
- The less you open your heart to others, the more your heart suffers - Deepak Chopra
- Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart – Rumi
- "If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place" Lao Tzu
- Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart” Unknown
And then there are some that come out of my own mind:
- Clarity of the mind: When you find it, is kind of like when you clean your windows, you realize how dirty they had been
- Being happy for no reason is a great feeling
- Memo to Self: the brick wall is not there to keep me out. It is there for me to prove how bad I want it
- Brick Walls: The real ones are a lot easier to bust through than the ones we create in our mind.
- Brick Walls: So much easier to see when you have knocked them down
It was the Bick Wall comments that had friends asking if I had read Randy Pausch’s book The Last Lecture or seen the YouTube video "The Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams".
I had not read the book but watched the video a long time ago but watching it this time was different. Maybe I was ready to hear what he had to say?
One of the things I have learned over the previous weeks is that so many of us try to put on the shiny, happy everything is good face so we rarely get into what I call the “good stuff”, the life stuff that most do not want to be so vulnerable to share. That’s how the post How Much Time And Energy Do You Spend On Relationships came about.
Anyway, no doubt I will continue to share some of this as I continue to spring clean the mind. Now this is a most awkward transition to...
Hell yeah!!! I am super excited that Butler and West Virginia won and advance to the Final Four. Today’s game between #5 Michigan State and #6 Tennessee does not get me too pumped up as the upset already happened in this bracket.
I guess I cheer for Michigan State being a part of the Big Ten (for as little as I care) and Tom Izzo is a good coach.
No links today, saving them for Monday.
I hope you are enjoying the weekend.